Saturday, July 23, 2011

Normally I don't do this but...

Mazel Tov!  Oh what a feel, I'm feeling life!

It's a special occasion after all. Those who know, know.


1st things 1st, Shia LaBeouf is a horrible, horrible, horrible actor.

He just sucks
... He must have some good dirt on somebody to keep getting work as an actor, when he cannot in fact act. The major skill you need in his profession, is a skill he simply does not have. In this economy? Seriously.



Next up, I was watching the Chinese new channel, which for some reason was broadcast in English. Don't ask me why a) I was watching or b) why it was in English? I was and it was, don't judge me! At any rate, the story was about a gymnast.

Born into a peasant family in Baoding, Hebei province, Mr Zhang was sent to a local gymnastics academy at the age of five. After seven years of gruelling training, he showed enough promise to be selected to China's national team and in 2001 he was entered by officials into the World University Games, despite not having an education outside his sport.

So basically they pick this kid out the garbage and devoted his whole life to gymnastics. Kind of like those guys you see performing in the subway. So the kid is good, gold medal good. Then:

His gold medal-winning performance was the highlight of his career, and he seemed certain to make the cut for the 2004 Athens Olympics until he broke his left Achilles tendon in training in 2002.

He never fully recovered, missed the games, and in 2005 he retired with a 38,000 yuan (£3,650) pay-off from the government in his home province of Hebei. "The money meant the local team no longer had to take any liability for my future," he said.

"After I left the sports system, I got a job as a food delivery boy, but after a while my injury got worse and worse so eventually I couldn't run or even walk for long periods".


They threw him in the garbage and tell him to kick rocks. Turns out that's how they do things in China. If Yao Ming didn't make money in the NBA Yao Ming would be a homeless bum somewhere. That's the government. Who do you turn to when it's your government that's shitting on you?

How does a citizen affect change in government? What other recourse besides voting do we have? How can we more effectively exercise our will? These jokers in office have a completely different agenda than we do. Watching the NFL labor talks, I was kind of jealous of how the players could tell the owners, we'll think about it. Imagine if the people could really speak with one voice, tell them jokers in office, hold on, not so fast. Imagine that.

My cousin likes to say, when people get hungry enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment