Friday, April 22, 2011

GFTFOH!







Talk about a controversy in the classroom. An Easter egg decorating assignment at a Queens school ended with a special education student in handcuffs.
The mother of the 7-year-old said her son was treated like a criminal, but school officials stand by their decision.

Little Joseph Anderson told CBS 2′s Dave Carlin on Thursday said his wrists still hurt from the handcuffs.
“They handcuffed me and they picked me up and they took me to the ambulance,” Anderson said.
The cuffs were put on him at school by police after he admittedly threw a tantrum over during an Easter egg activity in his first-grade classroom.
“I wanted to color my Easter egg again so my mom could know how nice was it. But Ms. Kate wouldn’t let me so I jumped on the table,” Joseph said.
He said the school employees at P.S. 153 in Queens told him he’d be taken to the hospital if he didn’t calm down. That made him more agitated. His mother was called, but police arrived before she did, slapped Joseph in on handcuffs and took him to an ambulance. He screamed for his mother, Jessica.
“I wanted to sit on the seat and the guy say I’m gonna get the needle,” Joseph said.
“They treated him like a perp,” his mother added.
“All he wanted was his mother and he’s treated like a common criminal,” said family attorney Robert Nicholson.

[Source]


In what world do you handcuff a 7 year old for throwing a tantrum?  What kind of person feels threatened by a 7 year old holding a pair of these?  How can the Chancellor say the school "took the appropriate action"?  Who thinks threatening an already upset kid with a needle is a good idea?  If the story was "7 year old draped up.", I'd be willing to hear out the school officials.  If you have kids, or work around kids, you know sometimes they need to be draped up.  Time outs be damned.  I've done work as a substitute teacher, and I could tell you stories.  So when I say, I'm not even close to understanding this. Not. Even. Close.

I was talking to my cousin about this and he said, and I'm paraphrasing here; "Well at least they only handcuffed him. At least they didn't shoot him up or stomp him out."  To grow up a Black male in this country...

No comments:

Post a Comment