Friday, May 20, 2011

The Rise Of McJobs

Well I was reading this, but that's a lot of words for most people, so I opted not to do a post about this, then I came across this, and figured how can I avoid it?  The short version is this, most of the jobs being created in the U.S. are low wage jobs.

Gainful employment that pays one enough to support themselves let alone save and plan for the future is harder and harder to come by.  A lot of analysis that I've read attributes people being trapped in low wage jobs to their lack of education, but when 17 million Americans with college degrees are doing work you hardly need a diploma for, I find that hard to swallow.



What neither of these articles address, but can be found in other analysis, is that all of the above trends are worse for Black folk.  My standard line is "it can't stay like this forever." What I usually don't say is I'm afraid it can, in fact, get worse.  I have very little objective reason to believe things will improve.  A degree is a guarantee of debt and little else.

Entire industries have vanished or been outsourced, and what's replacing them are low paying service jobs.   I'm sorry, you mean to tell me I went to college, racked up all these student loans to work at Mickey D's?


No comments:

Post a Comment