Monday, June 20, 2011

F#$% Jordan! (Yeah I Said It!)



In this day and age, Michael Jordan may as well be Jesus of Nazarath.  He who walked on air and did no wrong.  Don't get me wrong MJ was without a doubt the best shooting guard I've ever seen play.  The best of his generation hands down, and some people say the best ever.  What irks me is all these New Yorkers who speak Jordan's name like the holy grail.



In my opinion you can't be a born and bred New Yorker and truly be a fan of MJ.  MJ was the dream crusher.  Every year he found a way to send the Knicks home.  There wasn't a person in the city of New York not rooting for the Knicks.  Not a single New Yorker who didn't wish Charles Smith found a way to get that shot off, who didn't think MJ got every call. Not a single one.  So to hear New Yorkers talking about him with so much reverence is sicking to me personally.  Well as much as I can be sickened by sports anyway.  Lets be serious there are much bigger issues in the world.

That being said, with the exception of the first ring against the Lakers (east coast bias), I rooted against him every time.  I wanted the Blazers to win, I wanted the Sonics to win, I wanted the Suns to win, I wanted the Jazz to win, I wanted someone, anyone, to inflict losing on him the way he did to New York every year.  I loved it when the most hated one: Reggie Miller, got into a fight with MJ.  By the 98 season it started becoming acceptable for New Yorkers to root for Jordan, I never did.  I thought of a Bulls fan in New York as a bandwagon rider who had accepted his conqueror as his savior.  I for one was happen when AI crossed him over.  Most people I knew at the time were happy too.

Now days, we talk about Jordan as if he could do no wrong.  We act like his comeback with the Wizards never happened.  We act like he didn't draft Kwame Brown in the same draft that had Tyson Chandler, Elton Brand, Pau Gasol, Joe Johnson, and Richard Jefferson.  He drafted Jared Jefferies!  He drafted Adam Morrison when Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay were available!  He drafted DJ Augustin instead of Brook Lopez, Alexis Ajinca over Ryan Anderson.  Obviously talent on the court has no baring on the ability to pick talent.

So to all you New Yorkers running around with Jordan's on your feet, and his name sweet like honey on your tongue, just remember back in the day you were wearing Ewing's and hoping he lost just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment