Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Too Far.



For those of you who aren't familiar with the case, a NJ man Tyler Clemente committed suicide after unknowing having his sexual encounter broadcast live on the web by his roommate.  Why would he do that you ask? He was having sex with another man, and was effectively outed as a homosexual.  Now the roommate is facing 10 years in prison.  This is being hailed as a watershed moment for the anti bullying movement in the U.S. I'm not sure how I feel about this.



I'm lying, I'm not a fan of this.  While I agree it was an asshole move for the roommate to spy on him and broadcast his sexual encounter online.  I don't agree he should be held responsible for Tyler's subsequent suicide.  If someone broadcast me having sex online unknowing, sure I'd be plenty upset, but killing myself wouldn't be on my list of reactions. 

I don't know what it must be like to walk around in denial about my sexuality.  There's no shame in being a heterosexual male.  But we don't live in Iran either, however shameful it is to be a homosexual male coming to grips with that fact, it's not like he's going to be stoned to death.

Of the charges being brought against him, Invasion of Privacy, is the only one I agree with.  The rest are just an attempt to make an example out of this young man in the name of anti-bullying, who was only 19 years old at the time.  For him to be robbed of 10 years of his life because his roommate was overly dramatic is too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment